Carlson Wagonlit Travel

Passport Applications: Proof of Parentage Now Required


10/25/2012 - Effective October 1, 2012, a passport application for a child under 16 years of age must include one (1) of the following proof of parentage documents that demonstrates the child-parent relationship:


  • A detailed birth certificate issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial vital statistics office that indicates the name of the parent(s) This document is also accepted as proof of Canadian Citizenship;
  • A court-issued adoption order indicating the name of the adoptive parent(s);
  • or A foreign birth certificate that indicates the name of the parent(s)

Note: documents in a language other than English or French must be translated into English or French by a certified translator.


Exception: A proof of parentage document is not required with an application only if a Canadian passport or travel document has previously been issued to the child and it is the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) who applied for the previous passport or travel document participating in the new application process. You must submit the child's most recent passport and all other documentation, including proof of citizenship, is still required. This new requirement enhances the security of a child’s passport.

CWT Vacations Operating as Steinbeck Travel Ltd. | BC Reg.#2877
102 - 1968 Queensway, Prince George, BC V2L 1M2
Office Hours:
Closed to Public until further notice
250-563-1559 | Toll Free: 800-811-3377| Fax: 250-563-5224 | Email: